Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

do I need to include my WI W2 with my Iowa State return if I lived in both states in 2021?

I started a new job in July and moved from WI to IA.  I have multiple W-2s from earnings while living in WI and one W-2 from IA.  Do I need to submit my Wisconsin W-2s with my Iowa state return and vis a versa?  to expand on that further, My new employer issued a W-2 for Wisconsin and another for Iowa, but Boxes 1-6 are populated only on the Wisconsin W-2.  The IA W-2 has only box 16 and 17 filled in.  I'm concerned if I don't attach the Wisconsin W-2 with the Iowa return, it will be rejected.  So my total earnings ($37k) show up on Wisconsin W-2 in Box 1 and Wisconsin wages ($7k) are reflected  in Box 16 and state income taxes ($525) are in Box 17.  Iowa W-2 has nothing in Box 1 for total earnings and Iowa state wages ($30k) are in box 16 and Iowa state taxes ($819) in box 17.  I hope this makes sense??? So do I need to submit both WI and IA W-2 with each return?  Per TT I have to file by mail because Box 1 is empty for IA.  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

do I need to include my WI W2 with my Iowa State return if I lived in both states in 2021?

Yes, it's not too late!  If you haven't mailed your state return yet you always have the option to e-file. 

Click on Add a State to let you back into your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

You need to change your w2 entry. If you have one employer with w2s for two states then you want to combine the w2 and create one w2 in the program. Use all of the filled in information for the federal section. Then in the state section, enter the correct information, how much you actually earned in each state. Click the Add a State button. See the picture for how your w2 should be entered in the program, just change the numbers to yours. You will be able to file electronically this way.

Thank you Amy,

I want to try this but I completed my taxes yesterday and had to file via Paper/mail because of the issue above.  Now that I know entering things differently would allow me to file electronically, is it too late if I haven't mailed the return yet? 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, it's not too late!  If you haven't mailed your state return yet you always have the option to e-file. 

Click on Add a State to let you back into your return.

Thank you!! You made my day!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies