Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file taxes in two different states? Florida and Georgia

At the beginning of 2020, I moved to Florida, but then I moved to Georgia back in April. During the beginning of 2020, I worked in Florida. Would I need to file a Florida and Georgia Tax Return?

The reason I ask is as soon as I enter the Florida W2 on my tax return, I'm having to pay Georgia State Taxes even though I didn't work that job in Georgia- is that the way it works?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GloriaL
Expert Alumni

Do I need to file taxes in two different states? Florida and Georgia

No, that is not how it works, you would only pay tax on the income you earned while living in each state. If you were a resident of two different states during the tax year, you would file part-year returns in both states, assuming each state collects income tax and you had income in each state. In your case Florida, does not collect state income taxes and you would not have to file a part-year resident Florida tax return, only a part-year resident tax return for Georgia.

To file a part-year resident tax return in TurboTax, you will need to be sure that you have answered your personal information correctly on where you lived and the dates that you lived in each state.

To properly do this:

1. Sign in to Turbo Tax and select Personal Info.
  2. The Personal Info summary screen will pop up.
  3. Select Edit next to the top section with your name, Social Security Number, birthdate, occupation, and resident state.
  4. The second questions will ask you which state(s) you lived in during 2020. Select your state of residence from a drop-down menu. Your state of residency will be where you lived on December 31, 2020.
  5. You'll also be asked if you lived in another state in 2020. You will answer Yes and a new section will appear asking for your previous state of residence. Select the other state you lived in.
  6. Fill out the date of when you moved to your current state.
  7. If the rest of your information is correct, select continue

After you finish your federal return, you'll automatically move to the State section, where you'll see your part-year states listed. You always should prepare the return for your former state first, followed by the return for the state you currently live in

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies