dc2psguy

Do I need to file a third state return for unemployment benefits only?

I moved from DC to CA during 2019 so will be filing returns for those states, but I received unemployment benefits from the state of MD. Do I need to file a third state return for MD?

Hal_Al

Generally, no. But it depends on why you ask.  If there is state withholding in box 11 of form 1099-G and MD is shown in box 10a, then yes, you may  need to file an MD return for a refund.

Alternatively, you could not file an MD return, but claim a credit,  on the other state return for the tax withheld by MD. You would have to check that state's filing requirements. Most states require a copy of the other state return to get a credit. So, you would be  back to filing 3 returns.

Hal_Al

No.  But, you do  report the unemployment benefits to the state you lived in when you received them.

dc2psguy

Ok. Would there be any chance of getting a refund if I did file?

Hal_Al