Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ker6

Do i have to pay IL income tax for income earned in another state

I earned income in WA State in 2016.  WA does not collect state income tax.  TurboTax is adding WA income to my 2016 IL State tax return, causing me to pay significantly more than if it weren't included.  Do I have to pay IL tax on WA income?  If not, how do I remove it from my IL return?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you are a full year resident of Illinois and are filing a resident return, then, yes, you do have to report all of your income regardless of where it was earned.

If you are a part-year resident of Illinois then you would report all income earned while a resident of Illinois.  So if you earned income in Washington during the time your were an Illinois resident it is taxable to Illinois.  If you earned income in Washington while you were not a resident of Illinois you do not need to report the income to Illinois.  In this case you would file a part-year resident or a nonresident return with Illinois.  This type of return will allow you to allocate your income based on your residency at the time you earned the income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are a full year resident of Illinois and are filing a resident return, then, yes, you do have to report all of your income regardless of where it was earned.

If you are a part-year resident of Illinois then you would report all income earned while a resident of Illinois.  So if you earned income in Washington during the time your were an Illinois resident it is taxable to Illinois.  If you earned income in Washington while you were not a resident of Illinois you do not need to report the income to Illinois.  In this case you would file a part-year resident or a nonresident return with Illinois.  This type of return will allow you to allocate your income based on your residency at the time you earned the income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies