Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ldehart78

Do I have to file a state return for TN

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JohnR1

Tennessee does not impose a state income tax, other than the so-called "Hall Tax" on interest and dividend income.

Generally, if you are a person whose legal domicile is in Tennessee, you only need to file the Tennessee Hall Tax return if your taxable interest and dividend income exceeded $1,250 ($2,500 if married filing jointly) during the tax year.

If you don't need to file a Tennessee state tax return, and TurboTax has generated one for you, you can delete a state return in TurboTax Online, as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version).

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ, "How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?":

For more information about Tennessee's Hall Tax, please see the following Hall Income Tax Return guide from the Tennessee Department of Revenue:

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/revenue/attachments/indincguide.pdf 

This seems unethical to me, because you are definitely charging Tennesseans for a service they most likely may not need.

TN does not require a state return, for most people, for most of the time. For most residents, you default a 29.99 charge for every Tennessean that files with you(for  a 'state filing'). How many of us pay the charge because we are not educated enough or simply too busy to research this fact? Meanwhile, the charge is an obligatory one that an individual must opt of, not the other way around. This feels deceptive and looks like an attempt to convince the public that they are obligated to do something(that they aren't) and to choose yes out of convenience. Meanwhile, the service in and of itself is irrelevant for most TN citizens.
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

"Tennessee residents are only taxed on dividend and investment income (if dividend and investment income exceeds preset limits). If you did not have dividend or investment income, then this is a situation where you would not need to file a Tennessee state tax return.

You will only need to file a Tennessee state tax return if you received more than $1,250 in taxable interest and dividends ($2,500 if you are married filing jointly)."

Original answer

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I live in Tennessee and Turbo charged me $40.  A supposed "free" service ended up costing $120. Run I say. I will NOT use next year. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

There is a fee to e-file, but very often you can print and mail the state return for free. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies