Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to enter all my investment information on an a non resident form due to gambling winnings in Oklahoma?

All my information for my Federal Taxes was imported into the Tax form why do i have to answer questions on a non resident state form(Oklahoma) when all I need to do is report gambling winnings.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Do I have to enter all my investment information on an a non resident form due to gambling winnings in Oklahoma?

It sounds as the state returns are not allocating your income properly, to only tax that income sourced in that state. I suggest you begin with fresh data imported from the federal return.

1. First, please check My Info in the Federal return and be sure your address is listed as your home address, your home state is selected in the dropdown box for resident state, and the box is checked for Made money in another state
  2. Then go to the States section and click on the delete trashcan icon for Oklahoma and your home state (if it has state income tax)
  3. Next, add Oklahoma back and be sure it is creating a Non-Resident return
  4. It will show your federal income and ask you to allocate what is sourced in Oklahoma, only the gambling winnings
  5. Next, add your home state and be sure it is a Resident State
  6. It will show your federal income and ask you to allocate what is sourced there

This should prompt the allocation of income in both Oklahoma and your home state. Both returns will ask what part of the federal income is sourced in that state, so you can divide the income and your home state will ask if you paid taxes to another state, the tax from Non-Resident Oklahoma. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies