Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tumizoomi
Returning Member

Do I get my Virginia State Income Tax refunded if I am a non resident and a resident from Florida?

Hello, 

I had a 10 week internship at Virginia where I lived and received money in that state. However, my residency is Florida. Does this mean that I get the amount withheld from Virginia State Income Tax and do I have to fill the Virginia non-resident state tax? I am also unsure what to answer in the checkbox section (attached screenshot). 

Thank youScreenshot 2024-04-11 at 3.22.14 PM.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
tumizoomi
Returning Member

Do I get my Virginia State Income Tax refunded if I am a non resident and a resident from Florida?

@TomD8 Thank you for the reply and the link. I am still confused with what I have to put in the check box. I did not receive any money other than salary or wages and the description mentions that "If you earned Virginia income other than salary or wages, select None of the above". What am I supposed to select in the picture option I provided in the original post? Do I put none of the above? 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Since you worked in VA, you will need to file a VA non resident tax return to claim the income you earned during those 10 weeks.  Whether or not you get a refund depends on how much you made and how much they withheld to cover your tax liability to VA. 

It was not a mistake for them to withhold money from your wages to VA as you do have to pay taxes on the income you earn in another state, even if your state does not levy income taxes. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

@tumizoomi --

And you'll find Virginia's filing requirements for non-residents here:

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/residency-status#blocktabs-residency_status-3

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
tumizoomi
Returning Member

@Vanessa A  Thank you for the reply, I am confused with what I have to put in the check box. I did not receive any money other than salary or wages and the description mentions that "If you earned Virginia income other than salary or wages, select None of the above". What am I supposed to select in the picture option I provided in the original post? Do I put none of the above? 

tumizoomi
Returning Member

@TomD8 Thank you for the reply and the link. I am still confused with what I have to put in the check box. I did not receive any money other than salary or wages and the description mentions that "If you earned Virginia income other than salary or wages, select None of the above". What am I supposed to select in the picture option I provided in the original post? Do I put none of the above? 

TomD8
Level 15

Yes - none of the above.  None of those options apply to you.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies