turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joeandkatina
Returning Member

Disallowed deductions for state return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

In order to anyone to help you here, we need the following:

1. What state are you talking about?

2. What deductions are you talking about?

3. How do you know that these deductions were disallowed? Did you receive a letter from the state?

4. If so, what did the letter say?

Remember that we at the Turbo Community cannot see your tax return nor do we have any information about your situation other than what you post here. Also remember that this is a public forum so please do not post any personal information such as your full name, SS number, phone number, etc.

clergym13

My refund was cut by over $300 because the state of WV disallowed my property taxes. Yes I received a letter dated 8/21/2019...account number 2159-3932 

OK, we still don't have anywhere near enough information to address your situation.

Are you referring to the "Senior Citizen Tax Credit for property tax paid from Schedule SCTC-1...." (line 12 on form IT-140)?

If "yes", then when you read the form's instructions on page 29 at https://tax.wv.gov/Documents/TaxForms/2018/it140.booklet.pdf to see if you qualified?

Or are you referring to the "Homestead Excess Property Tax Credit or property tax paid from Schedule HEPTC-1....." (line 13 on form IT-140)?

If "yes", do you see a problem with how form HEPTC-1 was completed (see page 37 at https://tax.wv.gov/Documents/TaxForms/2018/it140.booklet.pdf).

Or are you referring to something else?

Let us know the details. It may be that there is a limitation that you are not aware of, or you may need to contact the TurboTax Audit Support Center .

clergym13

After talking with the STATE of WV TAX people, I have the answer as to why my property taxes were disallowed. Now this is only an educated guess, but it seems the local county tax office has my first name misspelled....My first name begins with a C as in CRAIG....they have it as a G as in Graig. BINGO huge error on their part cost me hundreds of MY dollars. So folks out there who happen to read this.....be ever so careful when claiming a tax exemption that depends on the work of county clerks who earn the minimum wage......it'll cost you if you don't!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, sometimes the problem is as simple as a typo. Sorry you had to go through this...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies