• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ursulawright

Deductions for Cultural Exchanges?

In November 2016, I participated in a people to people exchange to Cuba.  Some of the folks I traveled with believe the cost of our trip can be deducted, but I can't find anything on TurboTax to confirm or deny.  Please advise.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

According to the IRS, "Generally, you can claim a charitable contribution deduction for travel expenses necessarily incurred while you are away from home performing services for a charitable organization only if there is no significant element of personal pleasure."  These are typically missionary trips or similar trips to perform work for a qualified charity.  A cultural exchange program does not appear to meet this requirement.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardG

According to the IRS, "Generally, you can claim a charitable contribution deduction for travel expenses necessarily incurred while you are away from home performing services for a charitable organization only if there is no significant element of personal pleasure."  These are typically missionary trips or similar trips to perform work for a qualified charity.  A cultural exchange program does not appear to meet this requirement.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v