turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was told to file a dc form d40b non-resident form.

How do I do that in TurboTax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KellyG

DC doesn't tax nonresidents such as yourself. You would file DC Form D-40B only to get a refund of DC taxes paid or withheld in error. If you didn't have DC taxes withheld or paid then you wouldn't file a DC return at all.  The Form would be included in your completed return.

Next time, when TT Personal Info asks if you made money in another state, you would answer  No (unless you actually did, but not to DC). That will cause TT to not try to prepare a DC return for you.  Hope this helps!

• Was this helpful?
  • Helpful?
  • Yes
Steven204

In my case it is needed and I need to refill one out. It says no ink but I can’t do it on turbo tax either. I want to Amend it. 

Can I file DC Form D-40B to get the refund using turbotax? 

Nancy102

I was confused by the instructions from TurboTax. I live in Pennsylvania but received a 1099 NEC from a business in District of Columbia. According to TurboTax, I owe no tax nor should expect a refund from DC. However, TT also gave me an instruction sheet on filing by mail and said that a copy of my return would be included. However, the only thing on the TT PDF document was the instructions for filing--no Form D-40B was included. I think what this means is that I actually do not need to file a return with District of Columbia, but I'm not sure about that. 

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

It matters where you were when you earned the income reported on the 1099-NEC.  If you were in PA doing the work to earn the money from DC, you do not need to file anything for DC. If you were physically in DC when you earned the income, you need to Add Another State to your return to complete and file the DC return.

@Nancy102 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies