TambdeRosa

Couple MFJ in the past, but now wife resides in another state

Hello,

My husband and I filed our taxes jointly all our married life, both federal and state.  For the last 10 years, we both resided in Oregon,  but starting this year, I will change my residency to AZ, while he remains a resident of Oregon. Before transferring car registration and drivers license to AZ, I'd like to find out the tax situation.  When we file our taxes for 2022, can we file MFJ for federal and MFS for each state? If yes, what is the process using Turbo Tax? Thank you :0)

TomD8

"When we file our taxes for 2022, can we file MFJ for federal and MFS for each state?"

The answer is YES for both states.  Both AZ and OR allow married couples with different state residencies to file their state return using filing status MFJ or MFS.

This TurboTax help topic explains how to file MFJ federal and MFS state using TurboTax:

How do I prepare a joint federal return and separate state returns? (intuit.com)

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Reading the FAQ it looks like you have to use 3 accounts.  One to file the Joint federal return.  Then you each need another account to fill out fake federal MFS returns to do your separate state returns.    So you will have to PAY for 3 online accounts (3 federal returns and 2 state returns).  That's why it's cheaper to use the Desktop installed program.    If you don't have a computer to install the desktop program on maybe it would be cheaper and easier to go to a local accountant or tax place.

You will have to mail the 2 separate state returns.   

Since AZ is a Community Property State, you might wish to see a local tax pro.

TambdeRosa

@TomD8 Thank you so much! I will check out the info ASAP! 

TambdeRosa

@ VolvoGirl, Thank you! I think we use the Desktop installed program. Its the one we get from Costco & use the code to install. Is it different if we use the CD?

Yep that is the Desktop program (either by download or cd).  The Online version you log in using your browser.  

TambdeRosa

@SweetieJean, thank you!