Cash out 401k

Cash out 401k

I had a 401k when I worked at a company in California. I quit my job in California and moved to start a new job in  Utah. After a couple of months in Utah I decided to cash out the 401k. Since I cashed it out in Utah do I owe any taxes to California?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cash out 401k

you should not.   CA did try to tax retirement distributions earned there but the distributions were made to taxpayers who were no longer CA residents. SCOTUS shot down the CA attempt.  make sure that the trustee has your current address so the 1099R reflect it rather than your old CA address.  A CA address could create problems. 

Cash out 401k

Public law 104-95 prohibits states from taxing the retirement income of non-residents.  If you now are a resident of Utah, your 401K distribution is not taxable by California.  But it definitely is taxable by Utah.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**