turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cannot Delete State Tax Credit

I have an odd situation.  I moved from CA to HI on 1/15/2019.  To qualify for HI's lower property tax rate for residents in 2021, I have to file a full year return for HI for tax year 2019.  And, of course, I have to pay CA for the 15 days I was in CA.  I owe CA $300 for those 15 days.  So, TurboTax wants to credit me the $300 on the HI tax form.  But if I take the $300 credit, HI may claim that I have not submitted a full year return and require that I pay nonresident property tax for 2021.  I tried to delete the CA State Tax Credit on the HI return, but TurboTax keeps putting it back.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

"But if I take the $300 credit, HI may claim that I have not submitted a full year return "

I don't live in Hawaii, but I don't think this will be a problem. 

After all, it is perfectly possible to owe tax to a state that you are not a resident of.

For example, if you lived all year in Hawaii, but did some work in California, you would owe tax to California even if your domicile was in Hawaii all year.

I can't address the issue of if you qualify for the lower property tax rate (we deal primarily with income taxes), but I don't think showing a tax paid to another state alone will be an automatic trigger.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your reply.

I should have clarified that if I take the credit, I would have to send a copy of my CA return to HI, and the CA return clearly states that I was a part-time resident of CA in 2019 (albeit for 15 days).  Then HI may respond that since I took a $300 credit on my HI return for being a part-time resident of CA, I should file a part-time resident tax return for HI.  Then I would not qualify for Maui's Home Exemption per https://www.mauicounty.gov/DocumentCenter/View/3188/[product key removed]tion, if you are curious.

Btw, I found that while I cannot delete the State Tax Credit in TurboTax, I can edit it and change the credit to $0.  Then TurboTax does not put the credit on my HI return and does not include my CA return with my HI return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies