• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thompsondonaldc

Can we file jointly when we live in different cities within the same state due to work arangment?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15

Can we file jointly when we live in different cities within the same state due to work arangment?

Yes, you can always file jointly (if you are married, and both agree), even if you live apart for work or other reasons.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Opus 17
Level 15

Yes, you can always file jointly (if you are married, and both agree), even if you live apart for work or other reasons.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Opus 17
Level 15

If you are in a state that charges city income tax in different cities (Ohio and New York come to mind), you may have issues with double taxation.  Write back with more details.  If you aren't subject to city tax where you live, there won't be any issues with joint filing.
thompsondonaldc

What address should be used in this situation
Opus 17
Level 15

Wherever you want to receive tax-related mail from the IRS or state government (if they have questions or issues).
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v