Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can we E-file our California State Return?

Turbotax says We Won't be able to E-file your return.
Reason:  The return has withholding from a source other than Form W2, W2G, 1099R, 1099G, 1099INT, 1099DIV, 1099B, 1099MISC, 592B, and 593.  Why?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Fixed in comments.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Do you have state withholding from an unusual source ?   Not a standard form mentioned ?   If so the state requires you to mail in the return with the source documents showing withholding from all places.

Maybe Retirement Plan?????  Whats your thoughts????

We cannot see your income tax forms ... review all the places that have CA withholding ... do you have one that is not on the list above ?    If so what form is it on and what was it for ?
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

That can happen when a Calif Form 592-B or 593 is not entered correctly. See this FAQ about that. It says to start with the Calif return but you should actually do the federal part first (as always) - TT/Calif reacts to that federal entry of the 592-B/593 withholding.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2757572-how-do-i-enter-ca-form-593-real-estate-withholding">https:...>

Thank you and yes true.  In my case I entered our 1099-G incorrectly, once I had an appointment with Turbotax, they were able to assist me and walk me through it all in detail and then I was able to e-file 🙂

Fixed in comments.

Regarding Tax Year 2020 return....I file MFS in a community property state (CA).  We do not file any other returns besides what's listed in the error so I was stumped.  On my return, I had a negative adjustment for CA state tax withholdings.  On my spouse's return, I had a positive adjustment.  TurboTax only spits this error on my spouse's return.  You can find this entry on the CA Tax Payments Worksheet Line 13 (Other state tax withholding).

Talked to a TurboTax rep today and he claimed it was because my spouse had a positive adjustment for CA withholdings.  Stated CA probably wants to account for the additional tax added to my spouse's return.  I'm still not convinced that's the reason as I'm not filing any other forms besides what's listed in the error.  It seems like a software bug to me. 

I'm in the exact same situation. Did you find any resolution? (or did you just have to mail it in?)

That message means that you have income from a source that makes the return not able to be e-filed by TurboTax.

When you print your return to mail it, the first page will have a list of everything to include with the return and the address to mail it to.  It is very important to sign the printed return.  It can be retruned for signature if you forget to sign it.

@CAtaxMFS

@CAtaxMFS .  I never resolved my problem.  I had to mail it in.  

@MaryM428, what @CAtaxMFS and I are trying to tell you is that we DO NOT have an income source that makes the return ineligible for e-file.  As I mentioned, the error lists the returns that are eligible for e-file.  We do not file any other returns besides what's listed in the error.   This is a bug in TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies