johnwalker50

Can TurboTax help me file a West Virginia/Non-Resident Early Return? Sold a WV vacation home a few months ago, was taxed. Form allows early return of that tax.

When I click on the "State Return", TTax assumes that I want to add a WV state return to my completed 2020 tax filing, but we sold in 2021.
GeorgeDenseff

There is no early return.  You will file the WV return for 2021.  If you have no WV income to report, then do not complete the WV state return.

The tax software for 2021 will not be released until late November 2021; we do not know yet when the IRS will begin to accept e-files for 2021 returns.   For 2020 returns it was not until late February.   Typically it is later for the state forms to be ready for filing, so you likely will not be able to file your 2021 state return until late February 2022.   

johnwalker50

George, thanks, but closing lawyers provided a blank Form WV/NRER ( to be filed as early as 60 days following closing which was June 29th 2021 and as late as 120 days after closing). 

I was hoping TTax could assist me in calculating & filing that form. 

John

GeorgeDenseff

That is not a TurboTax form, but if you Google WV/NRER you will find sites that help you fill in the form online.  I personally use a site called pdf filler.  Here is a link for the form.

PDFfiller - wv wvnrer tax(1).pdf

Fill in the form online, print it, sign it in in ink, and mail it to the address at the bottom of the form.

@johnwalker50 wrote:

John

Sorry, Turbotax is not designed that way.  The entire program (federal plus state modules) is prepared as a package, and--although it may be released in preliminary form in November--it isn't usually actually ready to file until late January.   

Hal_Al

Q.   Can TurboTax (TT) help me file a West Virginia/Non-Resident Early Return?

A. No.  TT does not support form  WV/NRER, which is a stand-a-lone form and not part of the  WV annual tax return.