turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ed-sosa

Can't find the checkbox for Oklahoma Non Resident Tax Form 511NR "Not Required to File". Worked remotely from a different state. Company withheld taxes for Oklahoma.

As stated in question above. Company is based in Oklahoma. They withheld taxes on W2 for Oklahoma. The problem is I don't live there. I have not worked from there at all. I work fully remote form home in a different state. The turbo tax filing for oklahoma won't let me recoup all the taxes that were incorrectly withheld.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Can't find the checkbox for Oklahoma Non Resident Tax Form 511NR "Not Required to File". Worked remotely from a different state. Company withheld taxes for Oklahoma.

The “Not Required to File” check box not available in TurboTax Online. It is only available in Forms mode in TurboTax CD\Desktop, i.e. there is no automatic question that comes up.

If you are using TurboTax Online, print out your forms and check the box.

In any case, I suggest printing and mailing and attaching an explanation, because your tax return will not match your W-2.

To get your refund of tax withheld by mistake, first change your state wages in Box 16 of your W-2 to $0. There is no W-2 adjustment in the OK section. The Oklahoma program does not allow you to change the W-2 amount.

The click on Forms in the upper right.

In the left column, find Info Worksheet under Oklahoma Individual.

In Part IV – Other Information, check Nonresident and do not have an Oklahoma requirement. Filing for refund of state withholding.

OK Info worksheet

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ed-sosa

Thank you for the response. Do you know if turbo tax offers a service to file my taxes for Oklahoma correctly so that I can get all the taxes refunded? I’m just not sure I want to do it myself and have the risk of doing it wrong.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

We have the Turbo Tax Live Full Service product that allows for you to elect to have an expert file your taxes for you; you may review the following link for further details: Turbo Tax Live Full Service .

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies