DrawdownHope

Can't file IL electronically due to SSN "error", W2 imported

W2 was imported. I'm receiving an error of "return has a W-2 SSN that does match fliers or spouses SSN. I've check our personal information and the SSN is correct, so I assume the W2 has an issue. The paper W2 has the first 5 digits masked, the last 4 are correct. In TT, I do not see a field for SSN in the W2 income section. I really want to file electronically to speed the sizable (to me) return. Any thoughts on how to correct this matching error?

HelenC12

Edit your imported W-2 to correct the SSN or delete the imported W-2 and enter it manually.

To manually enter your W-2, we've got instructions for TurboTax Online and the TurboTax mobile app.

Remember: All income, such as wages and tips, is taxable unless the law specifically excludes it. For additional information, click on Taxable and Nontaxable Income | Internal Revenue Service - IRS.gov,

SteamTrain

Deleting it and entering it manually has worked for a couple other Illinois folks.

Somehow, a scanned or imported W-2 doesn't always work for an IL tax return, because If the employer used the initially hidden part of your  SSN, that causes a problem.....manual entry works because TTX uses the SSN from your My Info/Personal Info entries.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*