turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

trade2

Can I take the standard deduction for federal and itemize North Carolina state tax for 2020?

I've entered all my data and have a final result on Federal tax. I used the standard deduction. I need to itemize deductions on my NC tax return but TurboTax doesn't bring my contribution data forward. Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Can I take the standard deduction for federal and itemize North Carolina state tax for 2020?

Yes, you may itemize on your NC return even if you took the Standard Deduction on the federal return.

First, did you enter all of your potential itemized deductions on your federal return, even though you knew they would not be used on the federal return? I know you probably did, but I have to ask.

Second, NC itemized deductions are not identical to federal itemized deductions. Please compare the items on this North Carolina page to see if your allowable NC deductions don't add up to the allowed NC standard deduction (see "N.C. Standard Deduction" at the link above).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may itemize on your NC return even if you took the Standard Deduction on the federal return.

First, did you enter all of your potential itemized deductions on your federal return, even though you knew they would not be used on the federal return? I know you probably did, but I have to ask.

Second, NC itemized deductions are not identical to federal itemized deductions. Please compare the items on this North Carolina page to see if your allowable NC deductions don't add up to the allowed NC standard deduction (see "N.C. Standard Deduction" at the link above).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
trade2

Thanks, @BillM223 

You were correct. The standard deduction was the correct choice. I was trying to understand the difference in my 2020 vs. 2019 taxes. I was showing a large amount due on state with very little difference in income. I knew it was wrong but TurboTax assured me the calculations were correct. (and they were, just with incomplete data) 

After getting your response I did a deeper dive into the difference and found the real issue. TT had never recorded my NC state tax that was withheld. That made a BIG difference. I had scanned the W-2 so it never occurred to me to check the state data since federal was correct. 

Never forget the basics... 

Many thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies