Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can i remove solar and wind energy credit carryover from my New york state return

Hello, AmyC,

Thank you for your explanation in details. Yes, I am using the PC version. May I know what the form is called? It seems that I don't have that form in my TurboTax file. So if you would give me the name or number of the form, it will help me to locate or to add the form then delete it.

Thank you very much!

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Can i remove solar and wind energy credit carryover from my New york state return

Yes.  The solar energy credit for the New York (NY) state return would be Form IT-255 and for the federal return Form 5695. Follow the instructions from our Tax Expert @AmyC to remove it from your tax file.

@mycreator 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ReneeG12

After trying everything in this thread with my desktop cx this is what worked for me too.

THIS IS WHAT WORKED:

This finally worked!!  go to the section "Other Tax Credits" then "Non-Refundable Credits".  After you get to that section, make sure those boxes are blank!  I had zeros in both boxes.  

It would not continue or save so we logged out and back in and then went back, deleted the zeros, and continued to review and the error was gone. 

Can I remove solar and wind energy credit carryover from my new york state return?                                                      

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Yes, the solar and wind energy credit carryover can be deleted from your NY return. 

Please follow the steps below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on State on the left-hand side.
  3. Continue through the return.
  4. On the page, Take a look at New York credits and taxes, and scroll down to Unused Solar Energy Credit Carryover from Prior Years.
  5. Delete the unused credit on the page Credit Carryover Earned in Prior Years

@stanleyjoel 

jazzy17

I had this same problem when trying to file my 2022 taxes today.  Deleting 'Other Tax Credits and Taxes Worksheet' worked.  I obviously did not have any credits, so I was able to use this solution. 

THIS IS WHAT WORKED: Copied from another user a couple of years ago:

This finally worked!!  Thanks so much!  If you have an on-line version of Turbotax, you can't see lines so you have to go to the section "Other Tax Credits" then "Non-Refundable Credits".  After you get to that section, make sure those boxes are blank!  I had zeros in both boxes.  

ni26faxo

When trying to e-file my New York State return, during the review it is telling me that I am ineligible to e-file because my "Return claims a Solar and Wind Energy Credit carryover" and the first thing I did was the steps you outlined below and verified everything was blank. After going through all of the energy related credits and verifying it was $0 or blank, I have turned to this message board for a solution and I cam across this response. 

Do you know where I need to navigate in TurboTax so I can clear this as this is not applicable to me and is preventing me from e-filing?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Since you followed the steps from the first post and saw all blanks, that leaves a piece of data somewhere. You will want to delete the form Other Tax Credits and Taxes Worksheet'

Always use extreme caution when deleting information from your tax return.  There could be unintended consequences. Follow these steps:

1. On the menu bar on the left that shows. 
  2. Select Tax Tools
  3. On the drop-down select Tools
  4. On the Pop-Up menu select Delete a Form
  5. This will give you all of the forms in your return
  6. Scroll down to the form you want to delete
  7. Select the Form
  8. Click on Delete.

If the problem still persists,

Desktop version: 

1. Delete the form
  2. Save your return while closing the program.
  3. Update the program
  4. Open and file

Online version:

A full or corrupted cache can cause problems in TurboTax, so sometimes you need to clear your cache (that is, remove these temporary files).

For stuck information follow these steps:

1. Delete the form/ worksheet- if possible, see How to Delete  
  2. Log out of your return and try one or more of the following:
    • Don't use Internet Explorer.
    • Clear cache and cookies,
    • Sign in using a different browser.
    • Sign in using a different device.
  3. Log back into your return.

mbooker2

This worked!!  Thank you!

Thank you!  That saved me in Mar 2024!  Exactl same issue.

K8B98
Returning Member

Hi! I've tried every solution added in this thread to get this of this "Return claims a Solar and Wind Energy Credit carryover." issue. I've tried leaving the boxes empty, I've tried writing in zeros, I don't know what else to do. I can't delete the entire credits form because I have a credit elsewhere. I do not have the form IT-255 to delete, either. Is there anything else I can possibly check so that I can e-file? There is no possible way I have a solar and wind energy credit. Thank you in advance! 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You have to delete the $0 in the NY state interview.   Please follow the steps below @K8B98 :

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on State on the left-hand side.
  3. Continue through the return.
  4. On the page, Take a look at New York credits and taxes, and scroll down to Unused Solar Energy Credit Carryover from Prior Years.
  5. Delete the unused credit on the page Credit Carryover Earned in Prior Years.

This is the screen you need to delete the zero from----

Delete all the zeros

K8B98
Returning Member

Hi Dawn! Thank you for the prompt assistance. I did both of those steps and I'm still getting the same result... I'm at a loss for what to do! Here are the screenshots of what it looks like on my end... 

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 10.22.48 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-15 at 10.23.01 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-04-15 at 10.23.32 AM.png

Any other ideas/work arounds? Thank you again, I appreciate the guidance!

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, try this:

1. Sign out of your TruboTax account.
  2. Clear your cache and cookies. If you aren't familiar with doing that, follow this link for instructions.
  3. Close your browser. 
  4. Open a new browser window and sign in your TurboTax account.
  5. Select Review. If that is clear of details, Continue and try to e-file your return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies