turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mixrig

Can I file WI state return now without requesting homestead credit even though I am eligible? I won't have my rent certificates until after tax deadline.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Heather14

Can I file WI state return now without requesting homestead credit even though I am eligible? I won't have my rent certificates until after tax deadline.

You can file your Wisconsin return without filing for the homestead credit. To file your homestead credit at a later date, please see the following from the Wisconsin Department of Revenue site:

If you previously filed your Wisconsin income tax return and now wish to file a claim for homestead credit, you should write "Income Tax Return Separately Filed" on the top of your Schedule H or H-EZ. Before mailing your Schedule H or H-EZ, attach the following behind your claim:

• Your completed 2016 rent certificate(s) and/or a copy of your 2016 property tax bill(s),
  • Other homestead credit notes, schedules, or legal documents,
  • A complete copy of your income tax return, Form 1, 1A, WI-Z, or 1NPR (write "Duplicate" at the top of the Wisconsin tax return copy),
  • A complete copy of your federal income tax return and all supporting schedules if the previously filed income tax return was a Form 1 or 1NPR,
  • Copies of any wage statements, Forms W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, and 1098-T.

Delays to your refund will happen if all the proper documents are not attached to your homestead credit claim.

You can see the following link for more information:  Homestead Credit information

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Heather14

You can file your Wisconsin return without filing for the homestead credit. To file your homestead credit at a later date, please see the following from the Wisconsin Department of Revenue site:

If you previously filed your Wisconsin income tax return and now wish to file a claim for homestead credit, you should write "Income Tax Return Separately Filed" on the top of your Schedule H or H-EZ. Before mailing your Schedule H or H-EZ, attach the following behind your claim:

• Your completed 2016 rent certificate(s) and/or a copy of your 2016 property tax bill(s),
  • Other homestead credit notes, schedules, or legal documents,
  • A complete copy of your income tax return, Form 1, 1A, WI-Z, or 1NPR (write "Duplicate" at the top of the Wisconsin tax return copy),
  • A complete copy of your federal income tax return and all supporting schedules if the previously filed income tax return was a Form 1 or 1NPR,
  • Copies of any wage statements, Forms W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, and 1098-T.

Delays to your refund will happen if all the proper documents are not attached to your homestead credit claim.

You can see the following link for more information:  Homestead Credit information

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies