stephaniea-vahls

Can I file my PA taxes as a nonresident since I'm a graduate student and my permanent residency is WI?

I am a graduate student in PA and have a job in PA. However, my permanent residency is in WI, where I also earned money this year. I know that I have to pay taxes in both states, but can I just file as a nonresident in PA? Or do I have to file as a resident even though I haven't changed my license or car registration?
re2boys

See this pamphlet to determine if you were considered a PA resident for tax purposes:

http://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/Documents/Personal%20Income%20Tax...

If you were only in PA for a specific period of time (such as graduate school sessions) then it appears you would be a non-resident for income tax purposes.  If your living in PA becomes indefinite at any time, then you became a resident of PA (such as taking a job where the end date is indefinite).

If you are  a dependent of your parents, you would remain a resident of the state of your parents with temporary absence from home for schooling.