Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California return can't e-file

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

34 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

What error message did you receive? Please copy and paste it in here so that we may assist you further. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Also, what is the story on your Federal return?   Did you efile it previously, and if so, has it been accepted?  (most Federal returns will not be accepted or rejected until after January 27, when the IRS opens up return processing, except for a few the IRS pulls early for testing.)

You cannot efile a state return unless the Federal return was also efiled and is accepted.   If the 2 returns were not efiled at the same time, the Federal return must be accepted first before a state return can be efiled.

Did you try to efile them at the same time or separately?

Pipsquad

I am not able to efile either.  The message I’m getting is that some forms aren’t ready yet and it’s apparently some California Adjustment.  It’s says Schedule Ca.  What does this even mean?  

@ Pipsquad wrote:

I am not able to efile either.  The message I’m getting is that some forms aren’t ready yet and it’s apparently some California Adjustment.  It’s says Schedule Ca.  What does this even mean?  

@ Pipsquad 

You cannot efile the CA return prior to the Federal return.   You must efile them either at the same time, or you can efile the Federal first (if all your Fed forms are available), then efile the state return later after the Federal return has been accepted and all your state forms are available.

The REVIEW tab should tell you what forms you are waiting for.

The California Schedule CA (California Adjustments) is projected to be available for printing and efiling on January 30.

That form is used to make adjustments (on your CA state return) to your Federal AGI and deductions allowed by  California law by using allowed "additions and subtractions" that the TurboTax state interview would have asked you about.

Here's how you can check on the availability of both Federal and California state forms:

TurboTax IRS Federal Forms Availability Table:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-pe...

State Forms Availability Table:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

The IRS doesn't open up to start processing returns until January 27. Even if you are able to efile before then, your return will just sit on TurboTax servers until the IRS retrieves it on Jan. 27 (except for a few returns that are pulled early for testing purposes.) If you efile before January 27 and discover an error you need to correct, you can't retrieve the return. If the IRS accepts the return on or after Jan. 27, then the only way to correct anything is with an amended return.

NOTE:   Even though you may be able to efile now, by law the IRS will not issue a refund on tax returns claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit until February 15 at the earliest.

...and now even though you might think you can e-file in CA, you can't if you have mortgage interest deductions.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/schedule-ca-part-ii-lines-8e-and-10-errors-when-at...

Form 540: line 76 Write-in Text is Invalid for State Electronic Filing

Error on Line 76. I have tried all numbers but nothing works

@ hnvazirani wrote:

Form 540: line 76 Write-in Text is Invalid for State Electronic Filing

I see no one has responded to your postings.   You should probably explain what is CA Form 540, Line 76, and why you have an entry there.   You should also mention what product you are using--Online TurboTax or desktop software (CD/download).

I can't help you with a CA return.  I see you started another thread of your own, which no one has responded to yet.    If no one is familiar with your issue and nobody responds in this user forum, here's how to speak to the folks at TurboTax Support.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

ma
Returning Member

What happened

/CA-Return/CA-ReturnData/CAForm3840/LikeKindExchangeInfo/PropertyGivenUpDesc/RealPropertyAddress - Your California state return could not be electronically processed due to missing or invalid information on Form 3840 California Like-Kind Exchanges. Please double check your entries and be sure that you have provided a description of the property received along with the full address.

I cant copy and paste.  It says I need to enter child credit.  I have no child credits.  Then it says there is text needed line 77  

Michael D

I have the exact same issue as ma. Has anyone found the cause? (CA rejects e-file due to form 3840)
I have filed this for a few years now and have never had an issue, but this year TT seems to want me to fill out the info for properties that are non-existent. 
Asking for Part 1 Line 1 A,B,C info. but there is only one property. And if I do fill out all lines, CA still rejects it. Also TT wants to fill out line 2 A, B, C info. Again, I only have one property so B and C should be left blank. Seems there is an issue with TT not CA, because this is an import from last years taxes and there was no issue last year.

I have the same issue as Michael D with TT demanding the same information about properties B and C and wanting to fill out 2 A, B, and C when only one property was exchanged.  Was not a problem with 2018 return.  

@mfbellhome wrote:

I have the same issue as Michael D with TT demanding the same information about properties B and C and wanting to fill out 2 A, B, and C when only one property was exchanged.  Was not a problem with 2018 return.  

If you don't get any suggestions in this user community forum, here's how to phone TurboTax Support:

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

lmyrick

@joedirte I didn't have that problem in the past or even this year when filing and I always deduct my mortgage interest.  The problem I'm having this year is my return still shows as "pending" after a week from filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies