turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxjareen

California and Washington (State tax vs MFJ vs MFS)

My wife lived all of last year in California, and I lived in Washington state - we both got married in Oct 16. I'm thinking I will file MFJ for federal taxes, and create a separate return for her as MFS, whose federal part I won't file, but use the state to file California state tax. It turns out though that she has to attach her federal return with her state tax(since she has some schedules). I figure that might be a problem, since our joint federal return will show MFJ and our combined income, and her state will just show her as MFS and just her income ? Does the copy I need to attach of the federal return have to be exactly the same as what I'm filing or from her separate MFS return ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

California and Washington (State tax vs MFJ vs MFS)

Yes, include a copy of the joint return actually filed.  The mock returns are for your records and should be kept with your tax files in case the state of California questions any of the items you've split and reported separately on your married filing separately CA state income tax return.

Please note, the community and separate property rules must be applied when determining if the nonresident spouse is required to report California sourced income.

Click this link CA - married filing separately guidelines for more information. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies