Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

California Adjustments to Federal Itemized Deductions (despite not itemizing)

I should have said that I am probably Clark321 from last years post. (not Clark123)

I really need to read over what I write before I submit it.  I should have said I am probably clark321, not Clark321.   Also, I should have said that I not itemizing either for the Federal or for the State of California.  Sorry for my rambling!

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

You might have only printed the forms and not the supporting worksheets.

Here is how you can find the Worksheets:

In the desktop versions for TurboTax, you can click on Forms mode and look at the forms and worksheets.  

In Online TurboTax there is no forms function; the only way to see the worksheets is to pay for TurboTax (if you want to see the current year worksheets), then print the return as a pdf and look through the pdf to find the worksheet that you want to see.

To find your prior year documents including worksheets, from Tax Home, you can see your documents by scrolling down the main screen and clicking on Your Tax Returns and Documents. Select 2022 from the list of years. Click Download/print return (PDF). The worksheets appear after the forms in the PDF.

To print your tax return worksheets and schedules after you file, please follow these instructions:

1. Log into your TurboTax account
  2. Scroll to the bottom of page, click Add a State( you are not adding a state, this is just to get in the right menu)
  3. Over to the left, click Tax Tools dropdown
  4. Click the Print Center
  5. Click the Print, save or preview this year's return
  6. Check Federal returns and/or State returns
  7. Select Include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional)
  8. Then,click View or print forms

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you MonikaK1 for responding to my post.  I am using the desktop version of Turbo Tax.  Thank you for pointing out that I can just click on forms.  I have been creating a pdf (Tax Return and all calculation worksheets) and then examining it.  I did not find a Schedule A form that Turbo Tax created nor any information supporting the number filled out in CA(540) part 2, line 5a for taxes to the state that I have paid.  I have always said to myself "Thank God for Turbo Tax".  Now I might add to my sayings "Thank God for people like the ones on these post that can figure out Turbo Tax".  However, one does not have to figure out Turbo Tax.  I guess I have too much time on my hands.

I have always thought that I needed to submit the CA(540) but after studying the instructions for filing my California return, I find that since I have no differences between my federal or California income or deductions, I should actually not submit the CA(540).  I am sure it doesn't matter, but I wonder why does Turbo Tax decide to generate it as one on the forms that it will submit? However, I do think that it is good that they do fill out the form since how else would one know whether they need to submit it or not.  So I don't have a significant complaint. It is more of an observation.  I need to get up the courage now to submit my income taxes.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If you are ready to file, follow the prompts in the File tab in TurboTax Desktop. It works best to allow the program to submit your Federal and State forms at once. 

As long as you have a filing requirement, California will be looking for your California Form 540 as evidence of your filing, regardless of whether you had any California adjustments, deductions, or credits that aren't on your Federal return.

Generally, you must file a California income tax return if you’re a resident, part-year resident, or nonresident and:

• Are required to file a federal return
  • Receive income from a source in California
  • Have income above a certain amount

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you MonikaK1 for responding to my latest post.  I was just about to file when you responded. The CA(540) that Turbo Tax will be submitting (that they shouldn't according to instructions) is actually form California Adjustment (CA for short).  It is in addition to the required California 540 form.  Very confusing. CA doesn't always stand for California.  They shouldn't have named it that in my opinion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies