Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CA state tax tax calculation question: based in CA but live in WA.

I know that I need to pay CA tax as nonresident in this case but I am not clear about how much income is considered as CA taxable.   Here is my tax situation. I got a CA-based job last year, but I am still living in WA right now.  I commuted to CA every several days/weeks for work and worked at home or in the WA office. I am wondering how I should calculate my CA state tax?  Do I have to use the numbers in my W2 or should I calculate the portion of days that I worked in CA over the total working days last year? What about the sign-on bonus?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Under the circumstances you described, you would file a California state return and pay California income tax on all of your California-sourced income, based on your W-2 and other tax information forms, but not your Washington income; you won't need to make a calculation. 

After making all of the entries needed to complete your Federal return, add a California state return in TurboTax and complete the California interview. TurboTax will include only the California income on your California return.

As a nonresident of California, all of your California-sourced income is taxable. If you lived in a state that has a state income tax, you would normally be taxed on all of your income by your resident state and you would receive a credit on your resident return for taxes paid to California. Since you live in a state (WA) that doesn't have an income tax, you would just file a California return and report California income.

See this California Franchise Tax Board webpage for more information.

A nonresident is a person who is not a resident of California.

Generally, nonresidents are:

• Simply passing through
  • Here for a brief rest or vacation
  • Here for a short period of time to complete:
    • A job
    • A transaction
    • Contract work

As a nonresident, you pay tax on your taxable income from California sources.

Sourced income includes, but is not limited to:

• Services performed in California
  • Rent from real property located in California
  • The sale or transfer of real California property
  • Income from a California business, trade or profession

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

@10and1 --

You may want to read "Income Taxable by California" on pages 6-7 of this CA tax publication:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2023/2023-1031-publication.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thanks for your help, MonikaK1!  My question is I am not very clear whether the paycheck from the CA job that I got while I stayed in WA is also considered as CA Sourced income.  Seems that you suggested that all of this income is  CA-source no matter where you live.

Thanks for your help @TomD8 . Example 1 on Page 6 is the same as my case. I am wondering, in this case, should I consider that all of the income is CA taxable or do I need to do some calculation?  Let's say I have 40K income last year and I stayed in CA half of year for work. In this case, should I consider 40K as my CA income or 20K as my CA income?

TomD8
Level 15

Assuming you’re a non-resident W-2 employee, only the income you earned from work you actually (physically) performed within CA is “CA-sourced.”

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies