turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CA State E-Filing for RDP

TurboTax has been compatible with RDP for years now. Why is it so difficult to e-file my state? I have already e-filed both of our individual Federal taxes, and TT asks in the beginning if this is the MOCK fed to create the joint state. If you are asking this, why can't you just ask if we have already filed our fed with the IRS so we can e-file our state? There is no logical reason not to allow us to e-file our state if we have already filed our individual fed. Seriously TT, get your stuff together.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

A joint State Return can't be prepared on its own.  It has to pull info from a joint Federal Return.

If you want to file a joint California return, you need the 'Mock' Joint Federal return to transfer the info to the Joint California return (since you filed Separate Federal returns). 

If you use the TurboTax desktop product, this is much easier to accomplish, for both Federal and State returns.

Click this link for more info on Preparing a State RDP Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, as I mentioned, we already created and filed our federal returns with TT. I purchase the desktop version every year because of the RDP. If TT is so smart as to know, and ask, if it is the mock return, then why can't it ask (or see since I used TT for all three returns) if we have already e-filed our federal so we can e-file our state. It's a simple answer, Intuit doesn't want to invest the money to code it into the software.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have reported this for further investigation. Keep in mind, for taxpayers that are doing the opposite, filing the federal jointly and the state separately, they, too, must use mock returns.

TurboTax complies with all IRS guidelines for filing status variations. It is a means of protecting taxpayer identity, allowing for one filing per social security number while also accommodating allowable filing statuses.                                       

This RDP question has some existing facts and assumptions that require acknowledgment in your replies:

1) Desktop TT has been used to prepare and file and or attempted to file all of these returns.

2) Both of the RDP's "real" federal single community income returns have already been prepared by TT and e-filed in two separate TT files.

3) The original poster has prepared a third TT file as a "mock joint federal" return and finished preparing the CA state joint RDP returns and wants to e-file only the joint California RDP tax return. (The federal returns have already been e-filed in the above mentioned two separate TT files).

4) TT will not allow the CA state return to be e-filed in the third TT file, because it says that the federal must be e-filed first or at the same time. Apparently, it does not know, nor know to ask if there are separate TT files that have already e-filed these federal returns.

Question:

Is a paper filing your only choice to file the CA joint RDP return, or is there someway to e-file it given the above set of facts?

Thanks,

Al

I am having the same issue as bullet #4. Is it not possible to e-file the join state return? It says I need to file my federal returns first but I have done that and they have been accepted by the IRS

Hello sacummings91,

Apparently, TurboTax does not currently support e-filing of California Registered Domestic Partners (RDP) state tax returns. I myself had to print, sign, and snail-mail my state returns, and the original poster of this thread also confirmed to me that they too had to paper file their returns.  A special thank you to kcontreras for a quick reply to my PM.

Obviously, TurboTax is aware of the issue, and it's unfortunate that they have yet to address it. It seems that the only solution for e-filing a state return is currently reserved for only those who are married.

I understand that this may not be the most convenient option for taxpayers in our situation, and I empathize with your frustration. I wish I had better news, but I hope that my quick reply provides some clarity and helps you make an informed decision as to how to proceed.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out. Hopefully myself, or others in the "know," will continue to reply and inform those of us who have stumbled upon this issue.

Warm regards,

Al

My state return instruction is asking me to send my federal return as well. Does anyone know if I should include the actual federal return I submitted to the IRS or the "mock" one I did to prepare my state tax return?

Context: I'm in an RDP. We both filed our federal tax returns separately. We both filed state returns as "Married Filing Separately" using the mock federal return.

Wow ok, that's good to know. Thanks for the clarification! Do you know if I need to include my "mock" federal return or can I just mail the state related paperwork only?

In California you send in your mock federal returns in with your CA RDP joint returns.  Do not send in the federal ones actually filed, as those will not match the information on your California return and will cause you problems with the state.

Also, not required, but a good idea... on my returns I wrote/stamped across the top of each page of the federal returns the following: "Mock Federal, for RDP filing purpose only"  ( ordered a custom stamp on Amazon as I figured I'll use it every year )

In California you send in your mock federal returns in with your CA RDP joint returns. Do not send in the federal ones actually filed, as those will not match the information on your California return and will cause you problems with the state.

Also, not required, but a good idea... on my returns I wrote/stamped across the top of each page of the federal returns the following: "Mock Federal, for RDP filing purpose only" ( ordered a custom stamp on Amazon as I figured I'll use it every year )

michf18

I’ve used TT in the past years, but this is my first time using it to file as RDP. I’m using the  download/CD version as that’s what was recommended. We each filed federal as single and created a mock federal to file our state as MFJ but also experiencing issues with e-filing the state. What’s even more annoying is that TT guided me all the way through, made me pay the e-filing state fee, only to let me know AFTER that my only option is to “print and mail”. Seriously hoping TT fixes this major issue by next year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies