Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

If I lived in two states (6 months in one and 6 months in the other) but only earned money in one state, do I file two part-time resident returns?

....So the answer is yes, I should have submitted two Nj State tax returns.
maglib
Level 11

If I lived in two states (6 months in one and 6 months in the other) but only earned money in one state, do I file two part-time resident returns?

yes  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit26.shtml">http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit...>
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
maglib
Level 11

but if you intended on returning to NJ and it was not a permanent move to VT. You possibly could have filed as a resident all year in NJ and not filed in VT at all if it was not permanent, and you kept voting, DL etc in NJ.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question

No, I intended to live in VT permanently. Oy, New Jersey is giving me a headache.
maglib
Level 11

yes, the allocation part is difficult....  Just make sure you completed the non-resident half the year before doing VT. Part year resident.  You will have lots of allocations to deal with.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies