turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nina5boys

As a single teacher i thought i should get more federal back in live in ohio

im taxed at single 0 dependents..have a little bit of student loans to deduct but nothing else...only make around $35000..thought i would get some kind of tax break?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Not sure what tax break you think is missing.  We cannot see your return or see how much of a refund you are receiving.  

Some people are saying “Nothing has changed from last year.”  That is not true.  There are major tax law changes that have begun with this tax year.  Personal exemptions of over $4000 per person were removed.

One thing that may be affecting your refund for 2018 is that employers began withholding less tax when the new tax law passed.  Your paychecks were more, but that means a smaller refund now.  

There are are lot of variables that affect your refund or tax due including how much you earned, how much tax you had withheld, your filing status, the number of dependents you claim, your deductions and credits, etc.  You may have lost Earned Income Credit or the Child Tax Credit— did a child turn 17?  If you received the EIC last year, remember that changes in the amount you earn have a big effect on the amount of EIC you can get. (Sometimes earning more money means less EIC)  Are you 65 or older ?  If so, your standard deduction is higher. Everyone has a higher standard deduction now so it is harder to use itemized deductions.  Or do you have a healthcare penalty?  We used to be able to suggest comparing two years of tax returns side by side to find the differences.  But with the drastic change in the 2017 and 2018 forms, that is tricky this year. Another thing to compare is the amount withheld for federal tax in box 2 of your 2018 W-2 with the amount withheld for 2017.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482394-how-will-tax-reform-affect-my-2018-federal-tax-return

And of course, always check your own data entries, looking for errors such as misplaced decimals or extra zeros.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901008-why-did-my-refund-go-down-compared-to-last-year-s

https://www.postbulletin.com/news/business/tax-preparers-warn-your-refund-may-be-smaller-than-usual/...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
nina5boys

Thank you..maybe I am not having as much taken out as last year..Ive always been single and a teacher but made over the EIC.  I just felt maybe I was missing something but it looks not...is there a site I can go on where it would state if I made so much amount with no deductions what my tax should be?  Because I am a good $400 off from last year but like you said maybe I need to see how much tax was taken out last year.  thanks so much for your time!

Compare your W-2 from last year to the one from 2018--what is in box 2 of each one?  That shows how much federal tax was withheld.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
nina5boys

His tax rate went up a bit since last year he didnt make as much..this may be the difference.  thank you
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies