Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msfdsn

Arizona warning message related to Form 8949 for assets acquired after 2011 should be entered since there is a total amount in column a.

After keying in all my Federal and Arizona tax details then when running error check on my Arizona State tax, I get this exact error to correct message:  "Cap Gain Wks: Column c - amount from federal Form 8949 for assets acquired after 2011 should be entered since there is a total amount in column a.  If none, enter a zero in column c. "    I checked my 8949 in TurboTax and it matches to the 1099-B .. none of my 4 cost basis are zero. I need help please.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
msfdsn

Arizona warning message related to Form 8949 for assets acquired after 2011 should be entered since there is a total amount in column a.

I got this resolved via the TurboTax help call line.  Seems it's a small bug in TurboTax--  related to TurboTax's Federal portion on form 8949 for schedule D didn't accurately carry over the Long Term non covered and covered cost basis data to the Arizona 140 Capital gains worksheet which has columns a, b, and c.  These 3 columns on the Arizona  worksheet workout the non covered and covered securities acquired before and after 2011.  Result:  the warning message reported in my question above.   

Resolution: Go into the Arizona forms section of TurboTax and find the capital gains worksheet.  Manually key in the longterm noncovered cost basis number and it will then calculate the other two columns to the left (a and b).  That should correct it.  The Smart Check validation should now pass.   TurboTax you may want to check this bug and fix it.  Thanks for the support on the phone.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
msfdsn

I got this resolved via the TurboTax help call line.  Seems it's a small bug in TurboTax--  related to TurboTax's Federal portion on form 8949 for schedule D didn't accurately carry over the Long Term non covered and covered cost basis data to the Arizona 140 Capital gains worksheet which has columns a, b, and c.  These 3 columns on the Arizona  worksheet workout the non covered and covered securities acquired before and after 2011.  Result:  the warning message reported in my question above.   

Resolution: Go into the Arizona forms section of TurboTax and find the capital gains worksheet.  Manually key in the longterm noncovered cost basis number and it will then calculate the other two columns to the left (a and b).  That should correct it.  The Smart Check validation should now pass.   TurboTax you may want to check this bug and fix it.  Thanks for the support on the phone.

I have column a and b but not c.  how do you calculate exactly?
Vlad80

same here. Do you just enter the same amount in C?
Ray4

Its Feb 2019 and this still I-hasn't been fixed for 2018 version of Turbotax!

I need help understanding how to calculate this. I have no idea how to get past this.
msfdsn

If you had capital gain distributions in one or more of your investment accounts (Mutual Fund and/or Stock) Arizona tax needs to know whether your shares are covered or non-covered (I wish Arizona's Cap Gain wksht form would just use the terminology of "covered vs. non-covered!!"). Column B is where you key in amt. that came from non-covered shares and column C is where you key in amt. that came from covered shares.  

Now, what is covered vs. non-covered?  Check out this URL from Vanguard that defines covered vs. non-covered shares:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://investor.vanguard.com/taxes/cost-basis/covered-noncovered">https://investor.vanguard.com/tax...>

I had to go to my Mutual Fund website and look at the detail on my fund that distributed gains to see the cost basis information.  It identified which shares were covered vs. non-covered.  Another way you can tell is if you never received a 1099-B from your fund or stock custodian then you most likely had only non-covered shares that had the gain distribution.  If you received a 1099-B then you had gains from covered shares and that form will show you the breakout of covered and sometimes even the non-covered.

On the Arizona Cap Gains Wks in TurboTax
If you had covered and non-covered you need to key amts. into both columns B & C
If you had only covered, key in the amt. in column C and key zero into the column B
If you had only non-covered, key in the amt. in column B and key zero into the column C

Completed the survey. Hope it's fixed for 2019
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies