turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

danmalandro
Returning Member

Is income earned in your state of residence if it was earned in another state

does income earned in another state get added to NY State return?W2 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Your home/ resident state taxes 100% of your income, earned anywhere. You get a credit on your home state return for taxes paid to the state that you work in.

Inside Turbo Tax, work on the return of the state that you work in (but do not live in) first.

If you live in NY, yes, your NY return should show all of your income. Do you have a more specific question?

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Your home/ resident state taxes 100% of your income, earned anywhere. You get a credit on your home state return for taxes paid to the state that you work in.

Inside Turbo Tax, work on the return of the state that you work in (but do not live in) first.

If you live in NY, yes, your NY return should show all of your income. Do you have a more specific question?

danmalandro
Returning Member

So, an additional tax return will need to be filed to the state worked in which will require another TurboTax software purchase, is that correct?
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Another state purchase, yes.
danmalandro
Returning Member

A follow-up - Only $1,000 was earned in the state worked, which is CA. Is there a minimum income requirement in CA for filing purposes or I still have to file regardless of the amount?
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

You probably have to file CA. As with most states, your income anywhere also impacts your requirement to file CA, even if CA source is low.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2016/16_540nrbk.pdf">https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2016/16_540nrbk.pdf</...>
See the chart on Page 3. Your CA gross/ adjusted gross is essentially a federal number, just might be more or less due to CA differences. If, for instance, you are single with no dependents.. you would have to file if CA AGI is $13,728. If your federal AGI is $40,000, the CA AGI won't likely be that much different.
tbychkov

My daughter lived in CA until August, and them moved to CO. I did her CA state return first and then CO. Now I don't see a credit for the tax paid in CO on CA return. How do I change it?
hauptda
Returning Member

My daughter earned all of her income in the state of  Montana but did not change her residency because she traveled the entire year.  I did the Montana return first and then the Michigan return and Turbo Tax taxed her if the full amount as if the income was earned in Michigan.  Why would she be taxed twice?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Your resident state taxes all income but gives a credit for income taxed by another state.  Please carefully follow these directions to prepare the states in a special order. You may need to delete both states and begin again.

1. First, prepare your non-resident Montana return. This creates your tax liability for the non-resident state. How do I file a nonresident state return?
  2. Then prepare your resident state MI return and it will generate a credit for your income already being taxed in the non-resident state.
  3. The credit will be the lower of the state tax liabilities on the same income. You may owe your resident state, if they have a higher tax rate.

It isn't possible for the program to create a credit before it knows the liability. Your returns may be wrong if you do not prepare the states in this order.

@hauptda

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies