Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending 2018 State return without Federal adjustment

I am amending a State return only to add a missed credit for health coverage.  This is a state level credit only so no changes required for federal.

"Reason for amending original Return "requires one of the boxes to be checked so  I check "Other Correction".

It then requires me to enter Date of Federal Amended Return, yet I am NOT filing a Federal Amended, only State Amended.

After making my state updates, the final check flags and error that I must enter a date from my Federal Amended Return.

I have tried not checking any of the Reason for amending boxes but get the same result.

Thoughts?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I don't have the TurboTax software for Missouri, so I can't test this, but I have a feeling that the root of the problem is the Missouri instructions for an amended return. The instructions for "Reason for Amending Your Return" (on page 10 of the 2018 instructions for Form MO-1040) don't make any provision for filing an amended state return without an amended federal return. Although the fourth choice on the form itself just says "Correction other than A, B, or C," the instructions define the fourth choice as "filing an amended Missouri return as a result of filing an amended federal return." TurboTax is just doing what the state instructions say.

However, on Form MO-1040 the space for the date of the federal amended return says "Enter date of federal amended return, if filed" [emphasis added]. So it seems like it's okay to simply omit the date if you are not filing a federal amended return. You should be able to ignore the error in TurboTax. When you get the error in the final review, just click Continue without entering anything. You wouldn't be able to e-file, but the amended return can't be e-filed anyway. It has to be printed and filed by mail.

@robtm  Can you add anything to this?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What state is it? Every state has different forms and rules.

Missouri, 2018

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I don't have the TurboTax software for Missouri, so I can't test this, but I have a feeling that the root of the problem is the Missouri instructions for an amended return. The instructions for "Reason for Amending Your Return" (on page 10 of the 2018 instructions for Form MO-1040) don't make any provision for filing an amended state return without an amended federal return. Although the fourth choice on the form itself just says "Correction other than A, B, or C," the instructions define the fourth choice as "filing an amended Missouri return as a result of filing an amended federal return." TurboTax is just doing what the state instructions say.

However, on Form MO-1040 the space for the date of the federal amended return says "Enter date of federal amended return, if filed" [emphasis added]. So it seems like it's okay to simply omit the date if you are not filing a federal amended return. You should be able to ignore the error in TurboTax. When you get the error in the final review, just click Continue without entering anything. You wouldn't be able to e-file, but the amended return can't be e-filed anyway. It has to be printed and filed by mail.

@robtm  Can you add anything to this?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies