Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Allocate New York State adjustments

Figure the days you were in NYC.   Subtract that number from 365 - that is your days not a resident of NYC.   Then figure a percentage (divide each number by 365) that you can apply to the state adjustments for your NYC return.  

Example - say you moved to NYC 08/15

Days in NYC (08/15 - 12/31) = 138 days

Days not in NYC (1/1 - 08/14) = 227 days

Allocate 38% to NYC and the remaining 62% outside of NYC.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
emilyjohn
Returning Member

@LenaH 

I've been reading through this thread and am experiencing the same issue, please help!

I've been a resident of New York State for the entire year and moved to New York City in March 2021-December 2021. I'm not sure what to insert on the Allocate Federal Adjustments to Income page that says: Because your residence changed during 2021, you must allocate your New York State Adjustments of $1,233 based on the time you spent as a resident of New York City or Yonkers.

Would you please provide the information for me to insert for Description/Total Federal Adjustments/NYC Resident Portion?

I've also followed your instructions and my token number is: 1014083

Thank you in advance!

Good morning,

I am experiencing the same issue.  My token is 1014849

Shirandy

I'm having the same issue. Thanks very much for your generous and timely help!

Token Number: 1015526

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

You have to allocate your state and local bond interest. You entered $20 total for NYS (correct) and $10 for the NYC portion.  Just add the description: Interest on state/local bonds. 

@salohcin24

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Enter your student loan interest on the screen Allocate Federal Adjustments to Income. Total federal adjustments would equal 1,233. For allocation purposes, I used 10/12 months x 1,233 for the period you lived in NYC. If this is not the correct allocation, then please change that column accordingly. 

@emilyjohn

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Enter State/Local bonds for a total of 38. If earned evenly throughout the year, you can allocate 25 to NYC based on the time period you lived there. If this is not the correct allocation, then please change that column accordingly. 

@OlgaTomasello

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Your adjustments are equal to :

1. 529 CONTRIBUTION: -$4,200
  2. 414(H): $2,807

Depending on when you contributed to the 529 plan and when the 414(h) was taken out of your pay would determine what you would allocate to the NYC resident portion column. 

For example - if you contributed to the 529 plan while you were a NYC resident, you would enter the full amount in the column NYC resident portion. 

@Shirandy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Running into the same issue and could use some help, :( thank you/ Token: 1016503

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Please enter INTEREST STATE/LOCAL BONDS in the amount of $29 (total NY adjustment). The amount under NYC resident portion would be $20 if earned evenly throughout the year based on when you lived in NYC. If that allocation is incorrect, enter the appropriate amount in the NYC resident portion.

@Anonymous

eaops
Returning Member

Hi,

I'm in the same situation, I moved to NY on July 16th 2021 from a different state. How was my federal adjustments of $858 calculated? And how do I calculate my NYC portion of my adjustments? My token number is 1017043

nat304A
Returning Member

Hello,

I am having the same issue and would really appreciate the help. My token number is 1018403. The amount I must allocate is $1297. I didn't make any income in the state where I was previously living in early 2021. Thank you so much!

Hello - I am getting a similar message as other users where I am being told the following below.  I cannot figure out how the $1337 is being calculated so I am not able to allocate this.  Can someone please help?

Because your residence changed during 2022, you must allocate your New York State Adjustments of $1,337 based on the time you spent as a resident of New York City or Yonkers.  Your New York State Adjustments below must equal $1,337.

tony586
Returning Member

HI Lena H ,

Can you please me with same issue 

The message I got while working on my NY state return:

Because your residency changed during 2022, you must allocate your NYS adjustments of $-18000 (negative) based on the time you spent as resident of New York City or Yonkers. ... Your NYS adjustments below must equal $-18000(negative)  .

Could you please explain how to enter ? , 

thanks alot.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

It all depends on the source of that negative 18000.  

If the entire loss was because of New York sources then enter the entire 18000.  

If the loss was partly due to New York and partly to wherever you ended up then divide the 18000 by 12 and multiply it by the number of months that you were in New York.  

And if the loss was entirely because of stuff that happened after you moved out of New York then enter zero.

@tony586 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies