Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

davesieminski
Returning Member

Allocate New York State adjustments

I was a resident of New York City for the last three months of 2021. When preparing the NY state return (after preparing the federal) I came to an entry that said "Because your residence changed during 2021 you must allocate your New York State adjustments of -$64,122 based on the time you spent as a resident of New York City or Yonkers (I am not a Yonkers resident).  Below that statement are four empty "Description" boxes and then corresponding amount boxes adjacent to each.  It also says that "Your New York State adjustments must equal  -$64,122. " Question 1:  Where did the amount -64,122 come from? I don't know how to describe or how much to allocate to each item unless I know the source and I cannot find that amount or any accumulation items that equal that amount on any forms. Question 2; Is the amount shown somehow generated in software because I previously filled in the date I moved to NY? Please advise how to fill this out.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

50 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you are experiencing this with your NYC return, it would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2021" file that is experiencing this issue in order to address your questions. 

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is. Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
davesieminski
Returning Member

Token number is 937512. Thank you. 

DS

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

The $64,122 is the subtraction from federal adjusted gross income on your New York return (IT-203). It consists of:

• $43,228 of social security benefits
  • $20,894 in the pension and annuity income exclusion

Out of this $64,122, you allocated $30,836 to New York City.

• $9,942 of social security benefits
  • $20,894 in the pension and annuity income exclusion

To clear the error message, please follow the instruction below on the page Allocate New York State Adjustments:

1. Enter total New York adjustments ($64,122) in first column
  2. Enter the NYC resident portion ($30,836) in second column

@davesieminski

kakim717

Hello,

I'm on the same boat as this person who initially posted it. The message I got while working on my NY state return is as follows:

Because your residency changed during 2021, you must allocate your NYS adjustments of $1,432 based on the time you spent as resident of New York City or Yonkers. ... Your NYS adjustments below must equal $1,432. 

Could you please explain to me where this number ($1,432) came from and what to put in all the blank boxes? 

My token number is 1005712. Thank you!

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Please enter:

1. 414(H) for the description. 
  2. $1,432 for the total NY Adjustments. 
  3. Your wages were allocated approximately 58.33% to NYC. Therefore, your 414(H) would total $835 for your NYC portion if the allocation is the same.

@kakim717

sgo1
Returning Member

Hello, 

Same situation as the two people above, but am unsure if the description to use to report the information is the same. Token 1012300. Thank you!

Allocate New York State Adjustments
Because your residence changed during 2021, you must allocate your New York State Adjustments of -$4,989 based on the time you spent as a resident of New York City or Yonkers.

Complete the Yonkers column if you were a part-year Yonkers resident.

Your New York State Adjustments below must equal -$4,989.
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Please enter the following information:

• INTEREST STATE/LOCAL BONDS $45
  • INTEREST US GOVT BONDS -$34
  • 529 CONTRIBUTIONS -$5,000

The amount for your allocations to the NYC resident portion depends on when you earned the interest and when you made the 529 contribution. You can fill in the allocated amounts accordingly into the boxes under NYC Resident Portion. Please see the picture below for additional guidance. 

@sgo1

sgo1
Returning Member

Appreciate the quick response! To clarify, I would need to break down the number for each of the category according to when I actually earned or contributed the funds while being in NYC? I still live in New York State.

What about this line from the ask "Your New York State Adjustments below must equal -$4,989" ?

Thanks

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you would need to break down the number for each category under the column NYC Resident Portion.

The -4,989 is the total of -5,000 + -34 + 45. Your return will pass review since the total of the lines equal -4,989. 

@sgo1

sgo1
Returning Member

Got it. I had missed the minus sign for the $5,000 figure, sorry!

And let's say I don't have the exact information for the NYC breakdown, could I allocate a % based on how long I lived in NYC (e.g. 3 months out of 12, so 25% of each amount)?

Thanks again

Sarah

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

For the interest, yes, you can use an allocation because it usually is earned evenly throughout the year. 

For the 529 contribution, it would depend on when you contributed the funds. Was it all at once or over the period of the year? If all at once, then was it when you were a NYC resident or when you were not? If contributed evenly throughout the year, then you could use an allocation. 

@sgo1

sgo1
Returning Member

That makes sense.

Thank you so much for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Similar situation. Can you help me determine what I should list in my table for the "Allocate New York State Adjustments"? Token 1013009

aminimari

I'm in a similar situation. I moved to NYC in August (after living in another part of NY). The message I received is:

"Because your residence changed during 2021, you must allocate your New York State Adjustments of $586 based on the time you spent as a resident of New York City or Yonkers."

What do I do?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies