alexryndak

Allocate all or a portion of the income reported on your federal return to Illinois based on the length of your residency or the source of the income.

I lived in illinois until august 2020 and moved to washington. I no longer work from illinois.

I got a question that asked me how much income I made while living in illinois, which was automatically put in from my W-2.

When I clicked next, it asked me this:

"Allocate all or a portion of the income reported on your federal return to Illinois based on the length of your residency or the source of the income. Enter the amount that applies to the time you were an Illinois resident or to your activities in Illinois. If none, enter zero."

Do I just enter the same income from the previous question? I'm very confused about this.

DavidD66

You should enter the amount of income you earned while living in, or working in Illinois.  If that happens to be 100% of your income, include it all.  

alexryndak

I noticed when I do that, my state tax return jumps from $70 to $1800 and it makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. I've never gotten more than a couple hundred dollars for state tax return.

ThomasM125

The second question says to allocate a portion of the income reported on your federal return to Illinois based on the source of the income. So, to that question you need to enter just the income earned in Illinois, since the federal return will also include income earned in the other state.

You can view your state tax summary to make sure the income reported to Illinois is correct, but using these menu tabs while working in the Illinois return:

1. Tools
  2. Tax Tools (left side of the menu bar)
  3. View Tax Summary