Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Additional full time job - might have been flagged as CP01E Employment Related Identity Theft

Hi Folks,

I had earlier asked a question in relation to this, so my apologies for asking this again in a different way. I got an IRS notice CP01E 'Employment Related Identity Theft' , stating you may be the victim of employment-related identity theft. I strongly believe this is due to me starting an additional full time job (40 hrs with all benefits over the existing fulltime job with 40hrs and benefits).  But in any case I will be cautious if this is a case of another individual stealing my identity. So below are my questions:

1. Why would IRS flag this as CP01E 'Employment Related Identity Theft' when it was me starting an additional fulltime job? To my knowledge an individual can do as many jobs as possible.

2. I have created a SSA account and a PIN ID on IRS site to safeguard myself. I do not want to take any further action on this. Is IRS working on the side to resolve this? I do not want to have this flag on my account forever. I hope in the worst case scenario this goes away when I file my tax next year with two W2s.

Have a good day!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Additional full time job - might have been flagged as CP01E Employment Related Identity Theft

The notice reads:

What this notice is about

We believe another person may have used your Social Security number (SSN) to obtain employment. There is no known impact to your tax return or refund related to the potential misuse of your SSN. Because of the potential risks associated with identity theft, we are notifying you and providing you with proactive steps to protect your financial and credit accounts.

If there’s more than one name on the notice, this notice is related to the first person named. The person named may be a minor child, dependent, or other non-filer. However, because someone potentially used that person’s SSN for employment, there’s still a risk of identity theft.

What you need to do about your taxes

You don’t need to take any action for your taxes at this time. Please continue to file all applicable tax returns timely.

so it is clear that the notification is for your information and no action is required. Certainly a social security number used for 2 full time jobs would raise questions. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The notice reads:

What this notice is about

We believe another person may have used your Social Security number (SSN) to obtain employment. There is no known impact to your tax return or refund related to the potential misuse of your SSN. Because of the potential risks associated with identity theft, we are notifying you and providing you with proactive steps to protect your financial and credit accounts.

If there’s more than one name on the notice, this notice is related to the first person named. The person named may be a minor child, dependent, or other non-filer. However, because someone potentially used that person’s SSN for employment, there’s still a risk of identity theft.

What you need to do about your taxes

You don’t need to take any action for your taxes at this time. Please continue to file all applicable tax returns timely.

so it is clear that the notification is for your information and no action is required. Certainly a social security number used for 2 full time jobs would raise questions. 

Bingo! Thanks for your response. My thinking was also in the same line. No one likes any kind of notice from IRS, and I am relieved to know that this is just a informative notice. I will continue with my two jobs and pay all the due taxes next year. Makes sense that they will send me a notice as a cautionary step. Just wanted to get this out of my head. I am relieved.

prof88

Any updates on this from the original poster? I recently received the same letter and I also believe its because of my second full time job.  Like you stated,  I do not want to take any further action on this as well. Did you end up contacting the IRS for clarification? If so what type of information did they share? Or did you simply ignore it and havent recieved any more letters? Any answer helps, thank you and God bless.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies