turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

529 Deduction MO Resident KS Income

I am a Missouri resident who works in Kansas (wife works in Missouri).  We have three Missouri Most-529 accounts for our children (I am the account owner for all three).  I know both KS and MO have parity for 529 contribution deductions for 529 accounts in other states.  My question is since I personally have all KS income and am the 529 account owner, am I required to take the deduction for 529 contributions from my KS income taxes or am I able to choose which state to take the deduction from, since my wife's income is from MO?  I assume I cannot take the deduction from both state's income taxes, but I want to know if I am able to choose which state I want the deduction to apply toward.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Yes - You can choose on which state return you want to take the deduction.  [You can't take the deduction from both states.] 

Both KS and MO allow deductions for contributions to that state's or another state's 529 plan.  Kansas allows a deduction for 529 contributions, even on a nonresident return.

The maximum annual exempt contributions are:

• MO -- $8,000 for single individuals or $16,000 for married couples filing a combined return. 
  • KS --  $3,000 per student (beneficiary); or $6,000 per student (beneficiary) if your filing status is married filing joint.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Yes - You can choose on which state return you want to take the deduction.  [You can't take the deduction from both states.] 

Both KS and MO allow deductions for contributions to that state's or another state's 529 plan.  Kansas allows a deduction for 529 contributions, even on a nonresident return.

The maximum annual exempt contributions are:

• MO -- $8,000 for single individuals or $16,000 for married couples filing a combined return. 
  • KS --  $3,000 per student (beneficiary); or $6,000 per student (beneficiary) if your filing status is married filing joint.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies