Msouffront

1099R

I'm trying to enter my 1099 form but I keep getting this message, I don't know what I am doing wrong. My box 14 does have an amount already filled in. 

Error message below-----

The state tax withheld can't be more than the state distribution. If there's no state distribution on Form 1099-R, enter the box 1 amount in box 14.

SteamTrain

1099R

Damn....for 2020, the boxes were renumbered, state withholding shoudl now be in box 14,and......that warning should be:

"The state tax withheld can't be more than the state distribution. If there's no state distribution on Form 1099-R, enter the box 1 amount in box 16.'

________________________

Historically, NY has been particularly picky about this  (most box 16's would be empty on the actual 1099-R, but my software...with NC state... properly takes box 2a into the software's box 16 if I go thru the follow-up questions properly...the state you have attached may deal with box 1-into-16 instead)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
MikeZ631

1099R

Thanks for posting this.

My return was rejected by NY state and the distribution amount (box 16 being blank) was the issue.

I also encountered the box 12A error along the way.

I am updating the box 16 values and resubmitting.