Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 NEC CT Non Resident

I recieved a 1099 NEC with CT state income in box 7 and state payer information in box 6, but I am a non resident and did the work from my full time home in IL.  Because I never went to or performed any work in CT should there be state income listed?  If I meet the CT Non Resident Gross Inome test, does this mean I need to file a CT state tax return, even if the work was done from my home in IL?   Seems to me the payer should have left box 7 blank and just used only box 1 instead since nothing was done in CT?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

1099 NEC CT Non Resident

Yes, it is much more typical to have just the amount in Box 1, with all other fields empty.    If you can't get a corrected form, they may expect a return, but you are not required to file.   Keep the details with your tax records in the unlikely event of an inquiry.    

Amounts on 1099-NEC are non-employee compensation, aka self-employment/business income.   Am I self-employed?   Even side gigs produce business income.   The income on form 1099-nec is considered self-employment income to your 'business'.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

1099 NEC CT Non Resident

If you did not do any work in CT, all of your business income is IL-sourced, so you don't need to file a CT return (unless there is something in Box 5).   Is there anything in Box 5?   

Ask the payer why he added CT to box 6, it doesn't appear they should have referenced CT at all.    Did you have a CT address on your W-9 form, maybe?   

1099 NEC CT Non Resident

Box 5 has 0.  I do plan to ask why CT payer info was listed in box 6 and state income listed in box 7.  Is it typical for situations like this where no work was performed in the state for boxes 6 and 7 to both be blank and just have an amount in box 1?  That's what I was expecting.   It's not business income, just some side work but not as a W2 employee. 

If i'm unable to get a corrected form, will the state of CT see this and expect that I file a return?  

DawnC
Expert Alumni

1099 NEC CT Non Resident

Yes, it is much more typical to have just the amount in Box 1, with all other fields empty.    If you can't get a corrected form, they may expect a return, but you are not required to file.   Keep the details with your tax records in the unlikely event of an inquiry.    

Amounts on 1099-NEC are non-employee compensation, aka self-employment/business income.   Am I self-employed?   Even side gigs produce business income.   The income on form 1099-nec is considered self-employment income to your 'business'.  

1099 NEC CT Non Resident

Thank you - This was very helpfull. The preparer is sending a corrected 1099 with out the state income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies