turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dani98
Returning Member

1040-X

What does it mean when my 1040-X says do not file form not final. But my 1040 it's ready to be mail to the IRS

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

1040-X

For one you cannot amend a 2019 tax return that has not yet been filed and accepted by the IRS.  The IRS will not be accepting a 2019 tax return until on and after January 27.  Your federal tax return, Form 1040, has been finalized for filing.

Second, the Form 1040X for amending a tax return that has already been filed and accepted by the IRS will not be finalized and available until 01/29/2020.

brittkelly2
Returning Member

1040-X

It's past January 29th and still not available. So what's the hold up? I can do it myself by form why do i have to wait for turbo tax ???? It's been accepted by state and IRS...

1040-X

@brittkelly2 wrote:

It's past January 29th and still not available. So what's the hold up? I can do it myself by form why do i have to wait for turbo tax ???? It's been accepted by state and IRS...

The projected availability date for the Form 1040X in TurboTax has been moved back about 3 times.  It was first moved to 2/05/20, then to 2/12/20, but is now showing as being available in TurboTax on 2/20/20. You can check occasionally in the table linked below.

If you haven't yet received your Federal refund,  you should wait on the Federal refund to arrive first anyway before amending.   And each year, we see users who receive an additional late W-2 or 1099 in February that they weren't expecting or forgot about so one would certainly not want to have to amend an amended return, which is a huge headache.

TurboTax IRS Federal Forms Availability Table:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-pe...

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies