turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Surprised By Refund Calculator's Zero Result - Please Clarify

Hi all,

I just wrapped up a past-due 2018 return using the TT "Home & Business 2018" on pc.

Relieved that I don't owe for that year...

ShareX-020.png

...but also wondering if, due to incorrect placement of expenses (which I'll clarify below), that the zero balance might be inaccurate? It might be absolutely accurate on the other hand and I'm just not familiar with what ensures money back during a tax year and what doesn't.

------------------------

I say "incorrect placement" because I ended up putting the bulk of my expenses in:

Business/Business Income and Expenses/[business name] Edit/Business Expenses/Other Common Business Expenses/Other Miscellaneous Expenses

Since the work is Rideshare, and my vehicle for the entire year was rented, not owned, I did not use "Business Vehicle Expense"...

ShareX-025.png

...because its questions and subsequent screens assume vehicle ownership, leasing or "vehicle isn't mine", which is reserved for "expenses like gas, oil and repairs".

My main expenses were weekly rental fees, so Other Common Business Expenses/Other Miscellaneous Expenses..

ShareX-024.png

...seemed like the next logical spot.

➡️ Did using this generic section instead of the more in-depth Business Vehicle Expense section affect how the deductions work? After everything was tallied, TT determined that there was a "NOL" (net operating loss) for that year...

➡️ Wouldn't "tax deductions that exceed the taxable income" during a particular year lead to a refund?

Thanks in advance...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Did you pay any tax during the year?  

"Wouldn't "tax deductions that exceed the taxable income" during a particular year lead to a refund?"

If you did not pay any tax there is nothing from which to issue a tax refund.  And since you showed a loss, you cannot be eligible for the earned income credit.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Hi, 

"Did you pay any tax during the year?"

Are you referring to quarterlies? I didn't, no. 

Did you have any withholding taken out of W2 or 1099R or anything?  You have to have paid in during the year to get back  refund.  If you didn't pay in there is nothing to get a refund from.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies