turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If the state withheld my refund from last year, do I report that as "Total Refund Received in 2016?" I didn't receive any money.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If the state withheld my refund from last year, do I report that as "Total Refund Received in 2016?" I didn't receive any money.

You report that as income. The return was used for your benefit, to pay a debt. The fact that you did not receive it in hand is not relevant. It was credited to your account, used for your benefit, and that is the same as if you got it in hand.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You report that as income. The return was used for your benefit, to pay a debt. The fact that you did not receive it in hand is not relevant. It was credited to your account, used for your benefit, and that is the same as if you got it in hand.

Thank you. In relation to that question, my state refund has been withheld for the past three years. To cover a state university bill. But the university bill was about $1,400 and the sum of my past three years of state refunds exceeds this amount—so, is it really going towards that debt? Who do I contact about that?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies