turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MrsNursie

Would I add a 1099-R to my 2018 tax return if I did not receive the money until 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Would I add a 1099-R to my 2018 tax return if I did not receive the money until 2019?

If the distribution took place in 2018, you will receive a Form 1099-R for 2018 that you will need to include on your 2018 Tax Return. 

It is possible that the distribution took place by 12/31/18 even though didn't receive the check until 2019.  If you haven't received a Form 1099-R and are unsure when the distribution took place, you may want to contact the Financial Institution where your account is located to verify.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

If the distribution took place in 2018, you will receive a Form 1099-R for 2018 that you will need to include on your 2018 Tax Return. 

It is possible that the distribution took place by 12/31/18 even though didn't receive the check until 2019.  If you haven't received a Form 1099-R and are unsure when the distribution took place, you may want to contact the Financial Institution where your account is located to verify.

MrsNursie

Thank you! It just seemed a bit tricky as I did not receive the funds in 2018; but I'll be counting that as income for 2018...I do have the form, I just wanted to clarify...
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

You're welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies