turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ktm

Need help estimated taxes for 2019 due to large lump sum Social Security payment in 2019; doing worksheets by hand in Pub 915 but stuck only on q # 20 on wrkst 2. help?

I can't use the TurboTax Deluxe worksheets because the lump sum payment wasn't received until 2019 (foe 2017-2018). So I downloaded IRS Pub. 915 and filled out all the worksheets by hand without too many problems. But stuck on question 20 on worksheet - I'm not sure what I should enter there. The instructions/examples are no help. Any help very appreciated. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Need help estimated taxes for 2019 due to large lump sum Social Security payment in 2019; doing worksheets by hand in Pub 915 but stuck only on q # 20 on wrkst 2. help?

Line 20 -- 'enter taxable benefits for the earlier year' is asking for the amount of taxable Social Security benefits as shown on the tax return for the year of the worksheet you are working on.  Meaning, if you are filling out the worksheet for 2018, enter the amount of taxable Social Security benefits shown on your 2018 tax return (Form 1040 line 5b). 

For 2017 it would be Form 1040 line 20b.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Line 20 -- 'enter taxable benefits for the earlier year' is asking for the amount of taxable Social Security benefits as shown on the tax return for the year of the worksheet you are working on.  Meaning, if you are filling out the worksheet for 2018, enter the amount of taxable Social Security benefits shown on your 2018 tax return (Form 1040 line 5b). 

For 2017 it would be Form 1040 line 20b.

ktm

Thank you so much - vry helpful!
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

You're welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies