turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cavewolf2

How can I get turbotax to account for a traditional IRA withdrawal refunded and shown on Form 5498?

I withdrew $12,500 form a traditional IRA and replaced it within 60 days, as required.  The brokerage told me that there would be no tax consequence for this action.  The Form 1099-R submitted to the IRS shows $12,500 withdrawn.  They provided a Form 5498 showing the return as a rollover.  When I enter the Form 1099-R info into TurboTax it increases my tax burden by $3,125.  TurboTax tells me I can't enter Form 5498 data.  How do I get TurboTax to calculate the tax correctly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I get turbotax to account for a traditional IRA withdrawal refunded and shown on Form 5498?

You have to enter the 1099-R correctly and then answer the questions following correctly. After you enter the 1099-R data as it is on your form, and click Continue, Turbotax will ask you if you rolled over any portion of the distribution. Answer appropriately (you did roll it over - back into the same account) then Turbotax will ask if you rolled it over into a ROTH IRA, answer No, and that should take care of it. The distribution will still show in your Income Summary, but it will not affect your tax. It will show on your tax return with the word ROLLOVER next to it and that is all that happens.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You have to enter the 1099-R correctly and then answer the questions following correctly. After you enter the 1099-R data as it is on your form, and click Continue, Turbotax will ask you if you rolled over any portion of the distribution. Answer appropriately (you did roll it over - back into the same account) then Turbotax will ask if you rolled it over into a ROTH IRA, answer No, and that should take care of it. The distribution will still show in your Income Summary, but it will not affect your tax. It will show on your tax return with the word ROLLOVER next to it and that is all that happens.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies