turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to report the 1099-b I received? I'm the account holder/custodian for my grandson. It was a savings account that I transferred to a cd.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Do I have to report the 1099-b I received? I'm the account holder/custodian for my grandson. It was a savings account that I transferred to a cd.

You do not file that income on your tax return, if the account is in his name and SS#. If it has to be reported at all, you grandson will have to file a return of his own. 

You do not get a 1099-B for closing a "savings account". The account must have been a brokerage of mutual fund, to generate a 1099-B.I If the capital gain on the sale was less than $1050, it does not need to be reported. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Who's name and SS# is the account under? Yours or your grandson?

Grandson SS#.  Recipient is Grandson. My name is under account holder custodian for grandson.  There is a 1099-INT statement with it that has 5.31 in interest income and the 1099-B showing $1000 in proceeds and cost basis reported to the IRS.
Hal_Al
Level 15

You don't need to report it, at all. The fact that the proceeds are less than $1050 means that the capital is much less than $1050 (the filing threshold for kids)
Hal_Al
Level 15

You do not file that income on your tax return, if the account is in his name and SS#. If it has to be reported at all, you grandson will have to file a return of his own. 

You do not get a 1099-B for closing a "savings account". The account must have been a brokerage of mutual fund, to generate a 1099-B.I If the capital gain on the sale was less than $1050, it does not need to be reported. 

KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

If there is income on the 1099-b, then you need to report it to the IRS as they receive a copy of your 1099-b.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies