turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

This browser version doesn't have anywhere to put individual 401k contributions for my self employed wife. She put 18 as employee and 5 as employer vanguard plan

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristyW

This browser version doesn't have anywhere to put individual 401k contributions for my self employed wife. She put 18 as employee and 5 as employer vanguard plan

You can enter your wife's individual contributions to a self-employed 401(k) under the "Income & Wages", "Other Business situations", and select "Self-Employed Retirement Plans".

See Screenshots  

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ChristyW

You can enter your wife's individual contributions to a self-employed 401(k) under the "Income & Wages", "Other Business situations", and select "Self-Employed Retirement Plans".

See Screenshots  

The self employed version I'm using isn't showing those.  My wife is a sole proprietor, could it be that I need to update the business entity type or something?  I see where your screenshots lead but my screens don't have self employed retirement plans.

....do you see the Second screen at all?  (Other Business Situations)
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

No it doesn't.  I'm going to delete my sole proprietor inputs and try starting again.  I selected hair Stylist and it gave me some recommended stuff.  Will try manual this time.

Nope that didn't work either...

What version do I need if I am taking self employed retirement plan contribution (individual 401k) deduction?  Clearly, the browser/app/etc. version isn't working.  Do I need to buy it via CD? Digital copy?  The "pay when you file version doesn't have it." I had intended to pay at the end, but a considering to HR block or a local EA as this is very frustrating. $18000 employee, $5000 employer individual 401k contributions.... I must have wrong version because the screenshots you shared are not on my app/browser via laptop version.
ChristyW

TurboTax Self-Employed is the best for your situation. If you are using a mobile device you will need to login a computer to see the options, using the same username and password. Make sure your screen is full size. Minimizing it, gives it the look and functionality of a mobile device.

IF they can't find the spot using the "Search" function....Some people have trouble seeing the full screen of menu items, and need to get out of the Guided Interview by mucking around on the lower part of your screen.

It's tough to direct on how to do that in this type of back and forth.

First..you have to make sure you are using the SE version..
Second, you have to make sure you have selected the "Income & Expenses" tab as shown in Christy's first picture
......you will (likely) already have some stuff at the top of the screen....but you need to go down towards the bottom of everything..and if you don't see a full menu extending down the page  (maybe starting with "Wages&Salaries")

Third.....find the "Skip to see all Income"   to click on and that will expand the entire menu.  Then you can scroll down to see Christy's picture #2  (But you'll have to expand that too by clicking on a "Show More").)

found it.  Thanks to all!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies