turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My mother lives with me and retired the 1st of April 2016, can I claim her on my taxes? And if so, what form do I need?

I think that's the only change
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NicoleU

My mother lives with me and retired the 1st of April 2016, can I claim her on my taxes? And if so, what form do I need?

You can claim your mother as a qualifying relative must meet all five of the following conditions:

- Relationship: The person must live in your home for the entire year (be a "member of your household") OR be related to you.

- Gross Income: Generally, it must be less than $4,050 (not including Social Security or welfare.)

- Support: Generally, you must provide more than half the person's support. Special rules apply for children of divorced or separated parents or children receiving support from two or more people.

- Marital status: Generally, a dependent cannot file a joint tax return with a spouse. The only exception is when the dependent files a joint return only to get a return of taxes paid and, if separate returns filed, neither dependent or spouse would have a tax liability.

- Nationality: The person must be a United States citizen; or a resident or national of the U.S., Canada or Mexico. An adopted child that is not a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada, or Mexico must live with you for the entire year.

If the above conditions are met, in TurboTax, please do the following:

• Federal Taxes
  • Personal Info
  • Add Dependent (please see the attached photo), you will choose Parent.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NicoleU

You can claim your mother as a qualifying relative must meet all five of the following conditions:

- Relationship: The person must live in your home for the entire year (be a "member of your household") OR be related to you.

- Gross Income: Generally, it must be less than $4,050 (not including Social Security or welfare.)

- Support: Generally, you must provide more than half the person's support. Special rules apply for children of divorced or separated parents or children receiving support from two or more people.

- Marital status: Generally, a dependent cannot file a joint tax return with a spouse. The only exception is when the dependent files a joint return only to get a return of taxes paid and, if separate returns filed, neither dependent or spouse would have a tax liability.

- Nationality: The person must be a United States citizen; or a resident or national of the U.S., Canada or Mexico. An adopted child that is not a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada, or Mexico must live with you for the entire year.

If the above conditions are met, in TurboTax, please do the following:

• Federal Taxes
  • Personal Info
  • Add Dependent (please see the attached photo), you will choose Parent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies