turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to pay taxes on a one-time inheritance Soc Sec deposited to my mom's acct late May, she died mid May so they withdrew it and paid it to me and my sister?

I got a SSA-1099 for the amount I received, but it should be my mom's income and my inheritance, not my income.  She was entitled to the payment since it was for April and she lived all of April.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I have to pay taxes on a one-time inheritance Soc Sec deposited to my mom's acct late May, she died mid May so they withdrew it and paid it to me and my sister?

You are correct it was your mother's income and should not be taxed by you.  Social Security took the money back to make sure the correct party gets it, which would have been the executor (which I assume is you).

Social Security will not issue a new SSA-1099 so this is what I would do.

#1.  report it

#2 see how much actually gets taxed as only up to 85% of SS can be taxed.

#3 take a deduction on line 21 of your return for the amount that might be taxed.

Click on “Take me to my return” button.

Click on Federal tab (left-hand side of screen).

Click in Wages and Income (near top of screen)

Scroll down to Less Common Income.

Click on Start next to Miscellaneous Income.

Click on Other reportable income.

Follow the questions and then report this a negative amount.

The amount would be taxable income on a 1041 for your mother if one is required to be filed.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Is your SSN on the the 1099 SSA?

Yes, in box 2

You are correct it was your mother's income and should not be taxed by you.  Social Security took the money back to make sure the correct party gets it, which would have been the executor (which I assume is you).

Social Security will not issue a new SSA-1099 so this is what I would do.

#1.  report it

#2 see how much actually gets taxed as only up to 85% of SS can be taxed.

#3 take a deduction on line 21 of your return for the amount that might be taxed.

Click on “Take me to my return” button.

Click on Federal tab (left-hand side of screen).

Click in Wages and Income (near top of screen)

Scroll down to Less Common Income.

Click on Start next to Miscellaneous Income.

Click on Other reportable income.

Follow the questions and then report this a negative amount.

The amount would be taxable income on a 1041 for your mother if one is required to be filed.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies