turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amos2448

Can I file HOH?. My mother lives with me and I pay more than 50%. My question is around her income. She gets social security (10,700) and $1200 alimony annually.

If I can claim HOH with my mother as a dependent does she still need to file? Note: She did receive a monthly credit from January to June for the Affordable Care Act.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AndreaG

Can I file HOH?. My mother lives with me and I pay more than 50%. My question is around her income. She gets social security (10,700) and $1200 alimony annually.

Yes, your Mother can qualify you to file as head of household and she can qualify as your dependent as long as you pay more than half the costs of keeping up the main home for the year and you meet the additional requirements for both head of household and the dependency exemption. 

For her to qualify as your dependent, her gross income for 2016 needs to be less than $4050. Her alimony is taxable income but I dont believe the social security benefits will be taxable. However, please review the publications that I have referenced as well as the FAQs and then make the determination.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies